Friday, February 01, 2008


When my wife's Grandparents moved from their Fort Worth home of over 40 years last year, they allowed us to go and pick a few items from their affects to take as keepsakes. We had travelled by plane, so we selected a few small items (otherwise, I would have had so many great tools!).
I picked up a first edition hard back copy of Pastor David Wilkerson's classic, "The Cross and the Switchblade." Later I found out Annette's grandmother Estelle was David's secretary when he moved his ministry to Texas.
Last April I attended the Pastor's Conference at the Brooklyn Tabernacle in New York (it was incredible), and David Wilkerson was a late replacement speaker for Tony Evans, who coudn't get in to NYC on account of bad weather. Wilkerson was inspiring, and I decided that I should send him the book at his Manhattan church office, to have him sign it for my newborn, Caleb, as a keepsake. I did, and he sent it back with the inscription: "Caleb Benjamin- Stay close to Jesus! He's all that matters. David Wilkerson"
By the way, I read it again on my way back to Vegas when I got it, and it was a fast, terrific, blessed read once again. I now need to reread "Run, Nicky, Run!"

No comments: